Wednesday, January 14, 2015

To add two and two

     Today I call attention again (as in my post for 6 January, 2015) to the extensive  Science-Poetry collection edited by Norman Hugh Redington and Karen Rae Keck. Mathy (rather than bawdy) limericks are featured in the collection; for example, this one by an unknown author:

       There was an old man who said, "Do
       Tell me how I'm to add two and two?
            I'm not very sure
            That it doesn't make four --
       But I fear that is almost too few."  

     Recall that a limerick is five-line stanza in anapestic (da-da-DUM) meter with a rhyme scheme (AABBA) and that it is often obscene and with humorous intent. Several previous postings in this blog have included limericks -- and one way to find them is to click here to open a SEARCH BOX for this blog site. 
     In addition, here are links to other "anonymous" limericks on the Science-Poetry site.

2 comments:

  1. Remembering "A Space Child's Mother Goose" (paraphrased, I think)

    A physicist named miss bright
    Could travel faster than light
    She left one day
    In a relative way
    And returned the previous night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding to your comment, I found this link with some history of that limerick: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/12/19/lady-bright/

      Delete